Saturday, October 29, 2011
Week 10 D.E.J.
"Digital Storytelling by students provides a strong foundation in many different types of literacy, such as information literacy, visual literacy, technology literacy, and media literacy."
I believe we have seen in previous weeks that critical media literacy is lacking in many educational systems in this country. In fact, it is lacking so much that I had never heard of it before beginning this course. I think that digital storytelling is a great way to incorporate many different types of literacy, including critical media literacy. This is a tool that can also be used in many different subject areas, such as social studies, english, journalism etc. In addition, students will learn how to use technology in ways that will be beneficial to them as they continue on in school and later in life. There are few educational tools that incorporate so many important skills in one activity as digital storytelling.
Robin, B. The educational uses of digital storytelling. Informally published manuscript, University of Houston, Houston, TX. Retrieved from http://digitalliteracyintheclassroom.pbworks.com/f/Educ-Uses-DS.pdf
Digital Storytelling in the Classroom
This website includes a teacher's guide and other resources, such as evaluation rubrics, to assist teachers who wish to incorporate digital storytelling in their classrooms.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm a math teacher and I'm still looking for ways to incorporate digital stories within my classroom. The only idea I have right now is using them at the beginning of the class to have students introduce themselves to me and their other classmates.
ReplyDeleteI had never heard of it either. After learning about the importance, I am very surprised that I haven't. Hopefully the integration of and teacher education opportunities for media literacy begins to improve.
ReplyDeleteIt is not surprising the most have not heard of digital storytelling. Most schools are just trying to survive, let alone try anything new. If anything new is brought in, it is usually by the schools principal or by the board and required.
ReplyDeleteYou are so right. I teach Digital Media courses at the High School Level. It is strongly being incouraged to offer more technology courses in the school systems. When people in the community ask me what I teach ... I list the classes ... their respose is WOW I didnt know they taught those courses in the school systems how neat. I think that all teachers need to encouarge these classes to be taught and support the use of technology in the classroom.
ReplyDelete